The Film, Layout & Presentation

The Film

Because of the first film I sent away, I thought it was best to have these films developed on the day so there were no unexpected delays in the processing. I took the films to a lab in Birmingham and he developed them within a few hours. He only developed film on certain days so there was a bit of a delay in-between my shoots and getting the film developed. This was still obviously a lot better than waiting 2 weeks for my film to returned.


When I first started to look through them, I got worried about what number of images I should chose for each person.
In a group tutorial it was suggested that there didn’t need to be a set number of images per person, everybody’s memories are unique and are all in different quantities. Also if I set a number, this would mean I would either include images that weren’t as strong or relevant just to make up the number, or I would have to exclude images that should be part of the story.
During this feedback session we discussed whether the images should be kept in strips or should be presented singularly. We came up with ideas of being able to move a panaromic frame across the light on some sort of sliding system, this would have been great but the logistics didn’t quite work out for this idea.

I also spent a while searching for a suitable light source to shine light through the transparency negative, in the end I found circular lights at IKEA that would work well.  These lights gave a vignetting look, blurred and darkened edges which I though was perfect. When I think of my memories there are no straight edges, they’re not square or rectangle they’re all different types of shapes. So I thought these lights represented this perfectly.

Matt suggested the audience to have an interactive part to play in viewing the work also a presentation method that meant that only one image could be viewed at once.
I liked this idea and after a lot of thought and designing, I had gone through many different ways I could do this, but the logistics (time & money) meant that I couldn’t do some of the ideas I had come up with.

I have decided to present them in their groups (some people have as little as 2 images, some have 5)
In an unordered cluster, I felt this was important because memories aren’t neatly lined up, they’re in a unordered messy fashion. One image would have the spot light behind mounted on the wall, with the other images surrounding it. The images can be unhooked and moved around so that the audience can move each image in front of the light, but means that only one image is visible, leaving the rest in the darkness giving the frustrating feel that only one can be seen at a time. This will also give the fiddly function of having to pick on off the wall, to move the others then place the desired one in front of the light.
The audience is almost playing the role of the subject recollecting and viewing memories, the other ones that aren’t in front of the light appear dark and murky which kind of gives the representation of the forgotten memories, existing but not fully visible.

I think if all the images were visible all at once, it would be too easy… not representing what the subject went through to remember these memories. This not only gives the viewer the visual of the memory in the form of an image, but an idea of the process of recollecting a memory, which should hopefully be relatable of them.

The images will be supplied with a quote from the interview I did with them, supplying the viewer with a bit of context in a similar way to Sternfeld in his photo book.

I haven’t worked out how this quote will be presented, I’m not sure if it needs its own frame or something that separates it from the images. This is something I need to experiment with.

The frames the negatives are in are small (8 x 9cm) not much negative space around the image to think.
They’re black thick frames, which separate one from another but also feels like putting a slide in front of a projector, I felt it gave a similar feel to picking up family photos, but they also full nice and chunky to hold, in comparison to the fragile negative.
I also had to find a sturdy frame to protect the negatives. If they looked too fragile I don’t think the audience would feel comfortable handling the images and moving them.
Although it would have been nice to have them presented in just clear glass, no borders.
Again, the logistics of presentation like this didn’t work out, it just wouldn’t have worked with the light mounted on the wall as they would be flat.
The thick frames meant that the negative will be shielded from spilling light from the room and only lit by the light behind it, this looks really good like it’s being illuminated from darkness.

One presentation method that didn’t work…

FullSizeRender-3   FullSizeRender-4

The frames each negative will be presented in (waiting for mount board to be cut)

When I have all the materials ready, I will take an image of how I want them to look in the exhibition.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s